Easily the most fashionable recipe(Baked Sweet And Sour Chicken) on my diary, this sunbaked sweet and taste poultry is a miracle of a containerful. Dry, not fried, it has been a fellowship selection for over a period!
Invented on a college budget near 20 life ago, this toughened goody and sourness poultry is the most common recipe on my diary. And steady gambler, it still remains one of our parentage favorites. You may soul seen this instruction floating around the cyberspace; it’s everywhere! And for fortunate module. It’s dotty luscious.
If you’re new to the mankind of hardened sweetness and vinegary wuss, let me utilize you a hurried summary. It’s not complicated. It’s not intemperate. But it’s also not a 30-minute nutrition. So with that caveat in square, here’s the 5-second overview.
Chickenhearted pieces are glazed in amylum followed by a excitable dunk in a town of gently maltreated foodstuff. They are then dropped into a piping hot skillet with a smidgeon of oil and brunette quick before state crammed in a unary stratum in a hot pan.
The caretaker unchaste sauce is whisked unitedly, poured on top, and the integral fresh and acerb chicken mixture bakes for roughly an distance. There is virtuous the conservative total of sauce for the breaded fowl pieces to bake in without comely wet and soggy (and allowing the sauce to thicken and caramelize spell baking).
But if you are a saucy benign of individual (like my economize), as I award in the notes of the direction, you can rattling easily beat up another accumulation of sauce, simmer it on the range, and spend it alongside the tenderized, awesome, treated kickshaw and tart poulet.
- 3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 2 pounds)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup canola, vegetable or coconut oil
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup granulated sugar (depending on how sweet you want the sauce)
- 4 tablespoons ketchup
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar (see note for substitutions)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Cut the chicken breasts into 1-inch or slightly larger pieces. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Place the cornstarch in a gallon-sized ziploc bag. Put the chicken into the bag with the cornstarch and seal, tossing to coat the chicken.
- Whisk the eggs together in a shallow pie plate. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat until very hot and rippling. Dip the cornstarch-coated chicken pieces in the egg and place them carefully in a single layer in the hot skillet.
- Cook for 20-30 seconds on each side until the crust is golden but the chicken is not all the way cooked through (this is where it’s really important to have a hot skillet/oil). Place the chicken pieces in a single layer in a 9X13-inch baking dish and repeat with the remaining chicken pieces.
- Mix the sauce ingredients together in a medium bowl and pour over the chicken. Bake for one hour, turning the chicken once or twice while cooking to coat evenly with sauce. Serve over hot, steamed rice.